Strength training is a vital piece of any fitness regimen. The benefits of strength training are plenty no matter one’s age or ability. The key is to work to your own ability and not anyone else’s.
Many have thought that it’s not safe to participate in strength training past a specific age, which couldn’t be further from the truth. The important thing to remember, no matter your age, is that you are working safely. The best way to ensure this is to work with a personal trainer who is knowledgeable and certified to help you be successful and safe.
Key Benefits of Strength Training to Increase Lean Muscle Mass
No matter what your age, the following benefits are key to being successful with your goals may be. Though results vary for everyone, adding strength training that consists of the proper intensity and variety of exercises will get you where you want to be.
- Increased Metabolism – as we increase our lean muscle mass, we increase our power center of our metabolism. This allows us to burn more calories overall and during our workouts.
- Increased Muscle Mass – The development and maintaining of lean muscle tissue will enable one to have better control of movement.
- Improved Stability – This is particularly important for our elderly population to maintain as much muscle mass as possible to sustain stability and gait speed which will decrease the risk of falls.
- Decreased Risk of Injury – Improving stability and strength will decrease the likelihood of injury in sport and everyday life.
- Improved Cardiovascular Health – Studies have shown that implementing strength training to your fitness regimen can improve overall heart health and also have a direct affect on one’s blood pressure and cholesterol.
To reach optimal benefit of a fitness regimen of any kind, it is important to ensure that you are working at a proper intensity and working within the limitations you may have based on your health, age, and other factors. Working with a personal trainer would ensure that you are working at a high enough intensity, to safely and effectively reach your goals.
Get Started With Strength Training
If you haven’t talked to your doctor about implementing a strength training program into your fitness routine, do so today. Then, contact us at Mind Muscle Memory here at Contact Us to talk to one of our knowledgeable and well educated personal trainers to help get you started.
Continuing to neglect strength training is robbing yourself of the amazing benefits that you could be experiencing. It doesn’t have to be complicated but is an important piece to the puzzle of health. It’s time to get started today!